2017 Draft - and Free Agents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Draft - and Free Agents

Nate Gerry was the only former NU player drafted, going to Philadelphia in the fifth round as a linebacker.
    Streak of multiple draft picks ends after 54 years.

Undrafted Huskers sign free-agent deals:

Cethan Carter:*Cincinnati Bengals
    Tommy Armstrong: Minnesota Vikings (tryout)
    Dylan Utter: Minnesota Vikings (tryout)
    Terrell Newby: Minnesota Vikings (tryout)
    Brandon Reilly: Buffalo Bills
    Alonzo Moore: Kansas City Chiefs
    Josh Banderas: Denver Broncos

More
    "And guys, if there are 15 players on Ohio State's roster better than Tanner Farmer, not only will I eat my shorts, I'll eat yours!" - Red Said Ted

Not to beat the lack of talent drum, but that is a bit telling. Next year's senior class is a bit sparse as well. It will be interesting to see how we look in the draft when Riley's first full class are seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by busticket View Post
      Not to beat the lack of talent drum, but that is a bit telling. Next year's senior class is a bit sparse as well. It will be interesting to see how we look in the draft when Riley's first full class are seniors.
      Being drafted has a lot to do with how well coached you are. If these new defensive coaches are as good as advertised some of these defensive seniors will get drafted
      "My goal isn't really to win the Heisman. It's just to be better than I was the day before."

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

Comment

Originally posted by SUHnami View Post
        Being drafted has a lot to do with how well coached you are. If these new defensive coaches are as good as advertised some of these defensive seniors will get drafted
        So Hank Hughes was not as bad as advertised because he sent both M. Collins and V. Valentine to the league last year? I don't think so. Talent and tools are key - you have them and the NFL will try to coach you up.
        "Riley is a beta male." - Dunbar; 11-5-15

"Any lack of buy-in was a direct result of Riley being a beta male with a suspect record." - Dunbar; 11-16-15

"it further illustrates Riley's beta male status." - Dunbar; 11-18-15

Comment

Meh....that 2013 class just wasn't that good.

Gregory was already drafted. Collins left early. Gerry was drafted. The problem is that the class didn't follow the 1/3 rule well enough. Most of them didn't pan out.

Comment

This is a debate that won't soon go away. I'm not sure there is a 100% correct answer. I'm guessing that most of us believe both factors (ie initial/potential talent AND development) play into the solution. It is the ratio that most of us debate over.

I for one, have reversed the two factors in relation to each other. I have bumped development to number two and acquiring the talent to number one. What I have done however, is to expand my meaning of the term talent to reach beyond just physical athleticism to include things like; desire, work ethic, mental acuity, and the ability to acquire team compatibility.

Even with these factors, physical potential is a must. I have always said an athlete can't be too fast or too strong. You need the genetic factors to make these happen.....eg fast twitch fibers, long muscle bellies, a skeletal frame able to handle muscle, and have the ability to take abuse etc. Considering the short amount of time coaches have to work on development, these attributes need to be close to the surface. A certain amount of time is going to be needed to learn the complicated system college programs run these days, so you can't spend all of an athletes time getting the building blocks in place. Imo they need to be within reach pretty quickly.

I don't envy the staff having to evaluate athletes so early in their "athletic life spans". They aren't done growing....physically, mentally or emotionally. Throw in the fact that they have limited numbers of schollies to hand out, and that the investment is for four years.........and it gets hard.

Still, I think this is where we are at.....like it or lump it. Recruiting and assessing talent would be a very high priority if I were compiling a staff. But that does NOT mean that what that staff does with it after they have it is unimportant.......just a little less important than I believed years ago.
            Last edited by redfred; 05-01-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redfred View Post
              This is a debate that won't soon go away. I'm not sure there is a 100% correct answer. I'm guessing that most of us believe both factors (ie initial/potential talent AND development) play into the solution. It is the ratio that most of us debate over.

I, for one, have reversed the two factors in relation to each other. I have bumped development to number two and acquiring the talent to number one. What I have done however, is to expand my meaning of the term talent to reach beyond just physical athleticism to include things like; desire, work ethic, mental acuity, and the ability to acquire team compatibility.

Even with these factors, physical potential is a must. I have always said an athlete can't be too fast or too strong. You need the genetic factors to make these happen.....eg fast twitch fibers, long muscle bellies, a skeletal frame able to handle muscle, and have the ability to take abuse etc. Considering the short amount of time coaches have to work on development, these attributes need to be close to the surface. A certain amount of time is going to be needed to learn the complicated system college programs run these days, so you can't spend all of an athletes time getting the building blocks in place. Imo they need to be within reach pretty quickly.

I don't envy the staff having to evaluate athletes so early in their "athletic life spans". They aren't done growing....physically, mentally or emotionally. Throw in the fact that they have limited numbers of schollies to hand out, and that the investment is for four years.........and it gets hard.

Still, I think this is where we are at.....like it or lump it. Recruiting and assessing talent would be a very high priority if I were compiling a staff. But that does NOT mean that what that staff does with it after they have it is unimportant.......just a little less important than I believed years ago.
              Players are so much more developed strength and conditioning wise than they were a decade or two ago. Plus with all of the camps, 7 on 7, and Hudl you really can get a much better grasp on overall talent than in years past.

I still would put talent development #1. If you play hard nose football you can take marginal players and turn them into good football players. IA and Wisconsin are good examples of that.

But as we all know, NU hasn't played that brand of football in years so it's all about the talent level. The draft shows you why NU has fallen like a rock. There's been next to nothing elite talent on the roster.

Riley's scheme could work with ave players but not with the quality of oline play we've had. If it (oline) stays at the current level then you better have some elite skilled athletes. NU seems to be getting them now. But imagine if you had both that caliber of player AND player development. For the most part, I think that's what this staff provides (see Williams, Williams, and Diaco, etc).

Good times are here boys. Let's unjoy this. It's been a long time coming.

Comment

I think this says a lot for the coaching job HCMR did last year. Went 9-4 with a rugged B1G schedule and, at least according to NFL evaluators of talent, had only one player on the roster in the Top 200plus. Great job coach. Looking forward to bigger and better things.
                Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or a really cool opotamus?

Comment

I notice quite a few getting a look from the Vikings, is it a coincidence that their GM happens to have a son (JD) suiting up for the Huskers?

Comment

Can the Cornhuskers reverse course after having just one draftee in 2017?

Here’s an early look at potential Huskers (in alphabetical order) who could get drafted in 2018.

Drew Brown, PK (Redshirt Sophomore, 5-11, 200)
                    The younger brother of former longtime NFL kicker Kris Brown, Drew Brown has amassed many honors so far in Lincoln, from being a second-team All-Big Ten pick in 2015 to being a Lou Groza Award semifinalist in ‘16. Drafts regularly come and go without kickers being taken — although three went this year — but Brown should give himself a chance with another strong year in 2017.

Chris Jones, CB (Senior, 6-0, 195)
                    Jones is by far the safest bet of this group of five to be drafted, and, from a year out, it is not absurd to say that he might be the only Cornhusker drafted. Jones earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors last season after recording three interceptions, three tackles for a loss and 10 pass breakups. He announced his return in November, after having the opportunity to leave early.

Joshua Kalu, DB (Senior, 6-1, 195)
                    Kalu is a versatile threat who has played mostly cornerback but is getting a look at safety this season. He was an honorable mention All-Big Ten player as a sophomore in 2015 and, last year, tallied 11 breakups, an interception, three tackles for a loss, and two hurries. With a deep and experienced secondary back in the fold at Nebraska this year, there should be plenty of big-play opportunities to go around for Kalu, who has played a ton of football through his first three years in Lincoln.

Tanner Lee, QB (Redshirt Junior, 6-4, 220)
                    Lee, whom Mike Riley announced in April as Nebraska’s No. 1 quarterback for 2017, actually has a sixth year of eligibility left. If he performs well in his Huskers debut, though, perhaps that extra year won’t be necessary. Lee has 19 starts under his belt from his days at Tulane, where he threw for 3,601 yards and 23 touchdowns. He’ll look to build off those numbers as the Huskers try to challenge for the Big Ten West crown. Lee will be 23 by the time of next year’s draft.

De’Mornay Pierson-El, WR (Senior, 5-9, 195)
                    Pierson-El was slowed last season by a knee injury he had suffered in 2015, catching just 20 passes for 254 yards. When healthy, though, he can do plenty, illustrated by his All-America honors as a freshman punt returner in 2014. Pierson-El has eight career returns of 25 or more yards, and he is expected to take on a bigger role in the passing game this season as the elder statesman of a relatively green group.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX_Husker View Post
                      I notice quite a few getting a look from the Vikings, is it a coincidence that their GM happens to have a son (JD) suiting up for the Huskers?
                      I noticed that and saw it mentioned elsewhere as well. I don't think it's him throwing NU a bone or anything like that, probably more likely is that he's had his eye on a few players based on what he's seen in person in Lincoln while watching practices being here to see his son and thus he knows what he's getting

Comment

Westerkamp to get a tryout with the Bucs
                        "And guys, if there are 15 players on Ohio State's roster better than Tanner Farmer, not only will I eat my shorts, I'll eat yours!" - Red Said Ted

Comment

Kevin Maurice has a tryout with Jacksonville.

Comment

QB Tommy Armstrong says Vikings want to keep him around at safety

This after he was NOT signed...

I'd say he has a very slight opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              QB Tommy Armstrong says Vikings want to keep him around at safety

This after he was NOT signed...

I'd say he has a very slight opportunity.
                              He was cut; the article about him moving to safety was from last week, and they cut him yesterday.
                              Coffee is for closers, Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X