1. You will have to request a "forgot passord" reset to login to the new board. If your email has changed and you didn't update it in your profile, please contact us using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. Thanks for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I think next year we will be solid on the line -- AM I CRAZY?

Discussion in 'Husker Football' started by Blatz, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:33 PM.

1. Blatz

Blatz Big Husker Fan

I"m starting to get excited about Spring Ball.
    Under our new Coach, and returning to the 4-3 on D, am I crazy to sit here thinking that we will be solid on both sides of the line? I really like the guys that we bring back. I actually think we are going to be stacked on offense and have a good group starting on D, not a lot of depth to speak of on defense, but I think we are going to be solid.

justino52 likes this.
  2. SUHnami

SUHnami Administrator

If we hire the correct fit at NU, we will be a tough ball club next year. We have the talent to easily be in the Top 15 next year. They just haven't been coached well. They better make the right hire beacause as of right now with Riley still as coach, i probably won't renew my 4 season tickets.

3. huskerrod

huskerrod Redshirt

WE got a heckuva young team and most everyone is back, but im not sure if that is good or bad thing. If we were, say, 9-3 and everyone was cvoming back Id be feeling good. But at 4-8 with everyone coming back im wondering if we would be better with most of them graduating and starting over.

4. Red Storm Rising

Red Storm Rising Redshirt

This is what I love about Husker fans--we always see the light at the end of the tunnel--GBR

[​IMG]

valiantsailor and Blatz like this.
  5. Sgt Red

Sgt Red Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Whoever is the HC next year our players need to be trained on how to work. Breaking habits will be hard to do unless the players are "all in" with the system and new HC. I can see some leaving and others being benched until they meet a high standard of effort during practice and in games. So, I do not see a quick turn around no matter the coach. I pray i'm wrong.

6. charlie

charlie Administrator

After all we started drinking Kool-ade long before anyone else.

#6 charlie, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 4:38 PM
  7. Hunchback Johnny

Hunchback Johnny Blackshirt

8. Removed Spleen of Jordan

Removed Spleen of Jordan All Conference

Who says we’ll necessarily be going to a 4-3? Frost runs a 3-4 doesn’t he?

9. Blatz

Blatz Big Husker Fan

my emotions were running high Spleen! Shouldn't have said 4-3. Should have said "multiple"
    because I think that they do it all. These guys bring out of the box solutions, play fast, attack,
    and I think that they are going to breathe some life into this program that we haven't seen
    for far too long.

10. Husker21stb

Husker21stb All Conference

Love everybody's enthusiasm. I too HOPE that we will have a much more successful season. That being said:
    1. We have no empirical evidence that we will be any different next year.
    2. Rebuilding, IMHO, is going to take several years and a number of lumps. New staff, new schemes, new fundamentals. Arguably, I see 4 wins "for sure", 3 toss ups (2 of them being likely wins) and a very plausible chance of 5 losses.
    Akron (H)- Win
    Colorado (H)- Toss up
    Troy (H) - Win
    Michigan (A)- Loss
    Purdue (H) - Win
    Wisconsin (A) - Loss
    Northwestern (A) - Toss up
    Minnesota (H) - Toss up
    Ohio State (A) - Loss
    Illinois (H) - Win
    Michigan State (H) - Loss
    Iowa (A) - Loss

This is a tough conference schedule and we never know what CU will do. We'll likely beat the teams we should and play good teams, sans tOSU, closer.

3. The first good sign would be improved fundamentals (see tackling/blocking). The second is fewer mistakes (don't beat ourselves). Third is consistent, not streaky play.

4. Our talent has to be coached up, but that isn't likely to happen overnight. The culture has to change and it may take a few years for that to turn.

5. We may stay in the 3-4. Isn't that what UCF runs and that could be a good thing.

6. One more thing . . . we have to be patient. Parity has changed college football from what we expect. How does tOSU get ass whipped by Iowa? How does Miami destroy a higher rated Notre Dame? How does a proud MSU team get throttled by tOSU? How does Auburn destroy #1 Georgia? These weren't competitive losses. These were good teams against other good teams and they got BLOWN-THE-FRAK-OUT!

Parity my brothers. Playing in the big leagues, nobody is immune to it. We can't freak out WHEN it happens to us. We have to be patient and stay the course. The program can't survive if we panic when we don't dominate every team we play in the first five years. Urban is in his sixth year at tOSU and got b-slapped by the Hawkeyes.

Don't panic. Be patient. Be realistic. GBR!

#dontdrinkthekoolaid

11. SUHnami

SUHnami Administrator

I would agree if Riley was coming back. With a new coach who is the 'right' fit we win 8 to 9 games next year.

12. Husker21stb

Identity is not established in one year. We will be on, I think, our 8th different offense and certainly a new variation of the 3-4.

I think if SF is hired, we will see vast improvements, but it may not translate to wins as I mentioned above.

13. SUHnami

SUHnami Administrator

It may not, but don't be shocked if it does. ;)

14. Husker21stb

The Big Red has broken my heart too many times. I will support them win or lose, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Doris Day speaks for me. With the exception of being a little girl, pretty or rich . . . :)

That being said, I WANT us to start kicking ass again and hope whomever takes over makes that happen.

15. Blatz

Blatz Big Husker Fan

will pull at least 8 wins next season...

shoot this year we got Diaco'd out of 3 games, and pic sixed out of 1

16. j d

j d Blackshirt

Blatz, we didn't get Langsdorfed out of any?

17. Son of Charlie

Son of Charlie Administrator

:happy0188: The answer is: Signs point to yes.

SOC

Huskergod84 and Blatz like this.
  18. Blatz

Blatz Big Husker Fan

that loser has cost us for 3 years
    Lord YES!

19. shivas

shivas Big Husker Fan

Unfortunately, I don't think they will rise up to "solid" next year - it's probably going to be back to the basics at first. However, I do think we will see a great deal of improvement throughout the course of the year. I don't expect greatness, but I would expect to see much better fundamentals.

And I honestly don't care what the record is next year as long as there they are improving and the games are competitive (although I wouldn't complain if they happen to blow a team or two out of the stadium! :) )

20. Ohiohusker4

Ohiohusker4 Big Husker Fan

Just the fact that HOPE will be restored into the program....is reason enough to look forward to next year...hope Frosty makes it back to Lincoln....